Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Everland



Everland.

Not to be confused with the former pop-star mansion Neverland. A place, like many others in Korea that fail to fully capture the identity of an American concept. Still it served its purpose to provide a day of entertainment that was surprisingly comparable to the "Happiest Place on Earth."

Surprise.

4:08 A.M. Sept. 19th. I bound onto the Jolene-shaped covers, bearing gifts of her soon-to-be most happy birthday.

"Ah!!! Go away!,"
"It's your birthday."
"Not yet..., what time is it"
"It doesn't matter, it's your birthday."
"(moan)..then let me sleep."
"Nope! Can't do that." (Watching for the swinging fists, thanks for the tip Chris)

After several belabored minutes, I rouse the sleeping monster and slowly watch her transform back into my wife as she opens up the presents: A Book, A Bag, A Movie. She says thanks and falls on the bed with far flung hopes of reversing her hasty metamorphous.

"If I were you, I'd get dressed."
"Ahhhh... why?"
"Cause I don't think you'll be comfortable in those pajamas all day."
"...If you were me how long would I have to get dressed?"
" about ten minutes."

Ten minutes later. Knock-knock.

"What is wrong with you people... the sun is not even up yet."

Louis and Lisa join the pre-dawn fun and bustle us out the door. We are later joined by Paul as we proceed to march Jolene towards the bus stop in the pre-dawn coolness.

"Where the heck are we going?"
"Not on your life...hehe"

We continue to harass her as she sits, shivering on the sidewalk waiting for the phantom bus to arrive. She makes a feeble effort to read the sign as it passes by but the four-against-one strategy worked well in our favor. Jolene boards the bus at 5:10 in the morning of her most Happy Birthday swearing under her breath about how she's going to get me back next year.

5:30 On the bus
6:30 On the bus
7:12 The sun rises
7:30 Still on the bus
8:30 Still, still on the bus
9:20 Approaching Everland (Korea's Disneyland)
9:22 Fastest-ever witnessed transformation from grumpy, morning-blues to squealing, clapping, happiness.

"WE'RE GOING TO EVERLAND!!!!"


Thus ends the birthday surprise and begins my wife's most Happy Birthday.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay. Happy birthday Jolene. Hey David, please have the wifey write me or call me. I miss her and she hasn't responded to my e-mails. :(

Are you two still thinking about going to Thailand? Marc's application has been accepted so we are thinking about beginning the trip planning. Do you guys know yet when you might be down there?

Jenelle

frosh said...

thats funny, jolene happy b-day, dave is still as krazy as ever. you guys gotta go to nam man, i'm telling you it's bomb diggity awesome.

josh

Barb Cage said...

Hi Jolene and David,
What a wonderful blog! And you are fantastic photographers and writers! I so enjoyed this brief look into your lives. I am brand new to your blog, so haven't figured out who 'the kids' are yet, but am sure your Aunt Carole, who suggested I check out your blog, will catch me up. You are a lovely couple, and I'll be checking back for new stories and pix in the future. You'll be in my prayers too! Barb Cage

Unknown said...

Hi Guys! It's so fun to see updates of all your adventures. We miss you a lot and can't wait to see you soon!

all our love!

Michelle & Josh